Thursday, September 3, 2009

SCRATCH AND DENT LOVE!

Yes, I said I love scratches and dents!! Do You spy the little ding in the picture below??
Look real close now. You see, I would not be the proud owner of this refrigerator if not for this ding. It's because of this cute little ding that this beautiful refrigerator now lives in my kitchen!! The discount was a whoppin $500!! When I shop for big ticket items for our home, I more times than not will seek out a scratch or a dent. Why wouldn't I when I live with three little monsters who more times than not scratch and dent everything anyway?! Sometime I'll take you on a tour of my house and Show you all the items that we have purchased with dents/scratches.



Now, I was real excited to have this baby delivered this week, as we have been living with the teeniest, tiniest fridge for about eight years now. That excitement temporarily came to a screeching halt when we realized that we had to move the cabinet up to accommodate the height of the refrigerator.





That meant that we had to chop through the crown moulding that I just worked my booty off to install all by my little ol self!! Errrrr.....





We had to chop just to the left of the lamp, right under the big EAT!! This set of cabinets was not coming down without a fight and they really got banged up in the process.




This is what it looked like with the cabinet removed. Yikes!! You can see what our cabinets used to look like before they got a bright and shiny coat of white paint. The doors were oak, but the sides were a veneer. Blahhhh! I was a bit unsure as to how I would re-work the crown having the cabinets at different heights.





I decided that if we moved them forward a couple inches in addition to raising them up a wee bit more, the cut edge(and very beat up) of the crown would butt up to the cabinet above the fridge and hide all the imperfections.



Here it is rehung. It's a little higher than I would have liked, but I figure I'll stack cookbooks up there so the gap won't be so noticeable. I'm also trying to decide if I want to leave the doors off or put them back on. I'm leaning towards leaving them off, so I gave the inside a coat of primer and then I'll paint and I may possibly line the back with a decorative paper??? This weekend I'll be working on finishing the crown and hopefully all will go smoothly...by smoothly I mean no temper tantrums or throwing of hammers!! lol. Then I can take the time to get some groceries to fill up my new refrigerator!!
Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
Jen










15 comments:

Odette Bautista Mikolai said...

wow, i like the fact that your fridge isn't painted with the usual ones - in one colored mono tone. this one has a unique shade and the dent doesn't really show!
enjoy it!
xoxoxoxo

bubble said...

love your fridge!!!! what a bargain for such a little dent!! xxx

Anonymous said...

Love the new Fridge!! Cudos to you for being a savy shopper!!
Hugs,
Marilyn
xxoo

Cat said...

In you capable hands it will end up looking amazing. Congrats on the bargain hunting.

Claudia said...

A dent? You can hardly tell! Good shopping! And the cupboard looks great above the fridge - I'd line it with pretty paper.

Susie said...

Jen, if I didn't know better I would never have guessed you had to cut out that cabinet. Looks great! Congrats on the purchase of the new frige. Dents? Who care? Never would have seen that if you hadn't pointed it out.

Have a great weekend!

Dogwood said...

Dent? Where? Hardly even shows! Love the looks of you kitchen. Looks like a fun place to cook. Have a fun weekend.

Jenni said...

How exciting! I love your new refrigerator! :) I can't wait to see what you do with the cabinet above, too! :) I know, once you take the doors off, it gets you thinking! I took all of the doors to our upper cabinets off to prime and paint them, and they will not be going back up! (My husband think this idea is a little strange, but I have assured him others have done it and it looks really cute!) Congratulations again on your fridge! :)

{oc cottage} said...

That is a beauty!

m ^..^

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

CONGRATS on your new fridge! It's fab! I'm just like you honey. Dents and scratches do not mean a thing to me when it's a big ticket item. I got my dishwasher, fridge and micro way under cost because of the "damage". Smart shopping for sure!
Enjoy your new "toy" and have fun stocking it.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

I like the way you put it... because there is a dent, the fridge is mine... Huh.., But everything else do come with a little bit of imperfections, especially gardening!! ~bangchik

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Who cares about a little dent! It looks great! I like your solution to the cabinet problem. I think open cabinets are great as long as you don't need the storage to hide things and I always love backing stuff with wallpaper or scrapbook paper!

Manuela

Angie said...

What a nice refrigerator! I think it would be so cute to leave the doors off and put some paper on the back like you said and you'll have a new space to decorate.

Theresa said...

Good Job! I don't mind scratches and dents either. Most of the time it really isn't that bad! I would leave the doors off, looks great and good luck putting the crown molding on:) Have a blessed day!

sattakingplaybazaar said...

satta king
play bazaar
This can assist with flushing poisons, for example, nicotine, from your body.