Saturday, March 28, 2009

PROGRESS

I finally had some time to get started on that chair rail!! The oldest boy had a friend over, so all of the kids have been busy playing outside today. Great time for me get some things done around the house!!








I recovered the kitchen seat cushions in a blue toile.








I quick whipped up this red gingham pillow. I like the red with the blue!!






I brought the outside bench inside for who knows how long. I used some leftover blue toile and
whipped together a pillow to pretty up the bench. I was at Walmart picking up some groceries and picked up this rosemary plant. It smells heavenly!!


And here is my first wall of chair rail. It went really well and I was surprised at how easy it actually was. I had a blast with the power saw and I think I may have found myself a new hobby. I'm already thinking about doing crown moulding on the kitchen cabinets.
Hubby gave me a quick lesson with the power saw and then left me to fend for myself. This is how we finished off the ends. Our doorways are not trimmed out, so we had to finish off the ends with a mitered return. I think it looks pretty good. The first return I made was a wee bit to big, so I had hubby do the second. There is one more that I will have to make and I think I'll try to do that one myself.

This end came out a little shorter than the other, but I'm not fussin about it. Good enough already!!

I painted all the trim around the floor white and now I need to caulk and paint the chair rail. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner!! I know...I said the same thing about painting the fireplace and the kitchen cabinets. To all you ladies out there who are putting off painting those wood cabinets or that outdated brick fireplace...Do it!!! Don't listen to your Mother in-law when she says..."You can't paint oak!" Gasp..."You can't paint that lovely brick fireplace!!" Just do it!! I'm sure you will love it and be so glad that you did!!



I received another award from Amy over at http://bubble-bubblesblog.blogspot.com/! Thank you very much Amy!! I think that you are amazing!! Amy has such a positive attitude and is so very inspiring to me!! Please stop in and visit her lovely blog!!



That's that for this post. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!! I'm gonna light my favorite scented candle (yankee sprarkling lemon), and fix a nice hot cup of tea!!


Jen


















19 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome work! You are really handy and talented...wish I could say the same! Good job! Nancy.

jen said...

Thank you Nancy.

I have been trying to leave you a comment on your blog, but it has not been working. I have been having this problem for awhile. It seems I can only leave comments for those who have the orange publish your comment button. I just don't get it!!

I look forward to reading more of your blog!!

Jen

Cottage Lifestyle said...

I am in love with your chairs and envious of your new hobby.

Renee

Kristens Creations said...

Hi Jen, thanks for stopping by! Your projects turned out great! I wish I could whip up some pillows,lol! I should learn how to sew. I just love your blue walls and your chair rail looks perfect! Kristen

Tracey said...

Dado rail looks fantastic!!!
Haven't I got the orange button then, if not, why not? help!
Love Tracey x x x

Unknown said...

I love it! I just asked hubby if he'd show me how to use his power saw and then let me be, and he said no!!! LOL

I love how you just whip things up. Very inspiring!

English Cottage in Georgia said...

WOW!!! You have been a busy bee! The chair looks great and the chair rail awesome...kudos to you...I am terrified of power tools...if they came in pink and the loud whirrs would be soft purrs, maybe:-)

jen said...

Tracey,

You don't have the orange button...you know, like my orange publish comment button. The blogs that have the orange button give me no trouble at all. It's only the buttons like yours. When I hit publish comment nothing happens and somtimes my cursor dissapears too. My hubby took a look and didn't figure anything out. Honestly, I don't think he tried to hard cause I think he could care a less! LOL I'm hopeing that someone will come along and know how to help a sister out. No luck so far.

Have a great day!

Jen

Terri said...

How gorgeous - you are an inspiration!

Susie said...

Gosh Jen, you are on a roll. The chair rail looks great. Glad that it was easy for you.

decorator to the stars said...

great job, check out my blog you'll get a kick out of it :)

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

The chair rail looks great and I am absolutely drooling over those chairs! They look fantastic, you did such an amazing job on them!
~Michelle

Jenni said...

Hi Jen~
I am so impressed! Your chair rail looks wonderful~ you are doing a fantastic job on it! The baseboard moulding looks wonderful painted white, and I love how you recovered the chair seat. The pillows are beautiful, too! :) Your dining room is looking so sweet. :)

bubble said...

Hi Jen, I think me and mum have fixed the commenting problem on our blogs...

Amy xx

Tracey said...

Please try to comment now!!!!!!
Tracey x x x

Tracey said...

amy figured it out, not me. I'm way too thick!!!!
Tracey x x x

Chloe's Couture said...

Good job on diving in and using a power saw!!! Your chair rail looks great-and I wish I had known about that mitered cut on the ends-it looks sharp! I had to laugh about your comment on "painting oak", I get that all the time from my husband and handyman-who can't believe that I would paint "real wood"! It looks so much better in white, but since trees aren't made that way, they must be painted!!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Jen!
Thanks for stopping by my blog for a visit. I love your home too. Your header made me gasp, it is so wonderful. I am adding you to my google reader, so I know when you post...

Hope to see you again soon.
Penny

Angela said...

I really like the fabric on that chair. I'm a big fan of toile.